Website North York General Hospital
Job Title Dietitian
Job Details Union: Non-Union Department: Medicine >> ICU >>Clinical Nutrition – ICU Reports To: Clinical Team Manager Job Category: Healthcare Professional
FTE: 1.0 Shifts: Day Shift Duration: 8’s Status: Full-Time Temporary Number of Positions: 1 Site: General Site, 4001 Leslie Street Salary: $37.83 – $45.58 /Hour
Post Date: 13/10/2021 Closing Date: 20/10/2021
Position Summary The Registered Dietitian is a member of the North York General inter-professional health care team. Your goal in this position is to provide safe, effective and ethical care for patients and their families. You will be responsible for nutritional care for patients in accordance with the standards of dietetic practice established by the College of Dietitians of Ontario, Dietitians of Canada and by the hospitals’ Clinical Nutrition Services. You are able to work independently as well as collaboratively within an inter-professional health care team. You are self-directed, organized and flexible to adapt to the demands of a constantly changing patient case load. You demonstrate leadership, organizational and time management skills. You are able to maintain client records and workload data in accordance with program, hospital and college standards. You have excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication skills. You also demonstrate critical thinking skills and problem-solving skills. This position supports the hospital’s academic mandate by advancing care through teaching and learning and/or transforming care through research and innovation. This position contributes to the shared responsibility of following health and safety policies to provide for a healthy environment for patients, families, physicians, staff and volunteers.
On a practical level, you will:
• Provide patient-centered assessments of emotional, physical, cognitive and social needs and capabilities of patients as well as their families
• Prepare nutrition care plans that meet patient needs in collaboration with the inter-professional teams
• Document written assessments and progress notes on patient health records; monitor, reassess and evaluate for optimal outcomes, which are communicated to other health care team members, as required
• Recommend and implement therapeutic diet prescriptions/nutrition support orders by utilizing best practice guidelines
• Advocate for the patient/family and community to ensure the patients’ rights are recognized and appropriate services are created/provided in collaboration with the inter professional team
• Formulate and facilitate the discharge plan with patient, family, and health care team utilizing appropriate community resources, recognizing current needs, strengths, and limitations of patient and family resources
• Participate in medical team meetings and inter-professional rounds, and act as a liaison and resource person for all staff.
• Provide nutrition education for therapeutic diets
• Support the education program for nutrition students by precepting clinical rotations and evaluation their performance according to the ICDEP competency indicators
• Maintain excellent knowledge of and close liaison with hospital & community resources, i.e., Home and Communicate Care Support Services, Social Assistance, Ontario Disability program, Drug Programs, etc.
• Promote best practice and evidenced-based care through the implementation of initiatives aligned with the organization’s strategic direction. Support in the development of program/unit goals, objectives, policies, procedures and quality assurance programs
• Participate in continuing education activities for self, peers and members of the inter-professional health care team
• Attend and actively participate in Clinical Nutrition Professional Advisory Committee meetings and provide Clinical Nutrition representation on corporate/unit committees, as required
• Successful completion of a 4-year degree in human nutrition and dietetics from a university program accredited by the Partnership for Dietetic Education and Practice (PDEP) or recognized equivalent
• Successful completion of an accredited dietetic internship or equivalent supervised practical training
• Member in good standing with the College of Dietitians of Ontario (CDO)
• 1 year related clinical experience in an acute care hospital; ICU experience preferred
• Membership with Dietitians of Canada preferred
• 2 years’ experience in complex nutrition support preferred
• Current experience with electronic documentation along with computer proficiency
• Current knowledge of normal and therapeutic nutrition, and well-versed in enteral nutrition and TPN
• Bilingualism in French/English an asset
What We Offer Working at NYGH means working with a dynamic team of fellow healthcare providers, staff, and volunteers in one of Canada’s leading hospitals. This is a Full-Time Temporary position with 8 hour day shifts in the Clinical Nutrition unit (ICU). We offer a highly competitive total compensation package which may include benefits, pension, vacation pay, or pay in lieu of benefits, when applicable. If you were searching for more reasons to consider joining the wonderful team at NYGH, check out some features of our Total Rewards package by visiting nygh.on.ca
How to Apply
Think you’re the right person for the job? Here’s your first chance to show us why:
• Ensure to meet the deadline – only applications received by the closing date will be considered.
• We will review all applications and will contact those selected for an interview.
Please refer to the Job Opportunities page on eric for more detailed application instructions.
At North York General, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. North York General is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.