Website North York General Hospital
Job Title Occupational Therapist – Inpatient Surgery
Job Details Union: Non-Union Department: Surgery >> Surgical IP >> – Surgical Unit-Surgery IP Reports To: CTM Job Category: Healthcare Professional
FTE: 0.0 Shifts: Day,Weekends Shift Duration: 8’s Status: Casual Number of Positions: 1 Site: General Site, 4001 Leslie Street Salary: $37.83 – $45.58 /Hour
Post Date: October 12, 2021 Closing Date: October 19, 2021
Position Summary Occupational Therapist, Inpatient Surgery This position is on an adult in-patient surgical unit. Caseload includes patients who have undergone vascular, thoracic, bowel, urology or gynaecological surgery. The role of the therapist includes evaluation of activities of daily living, cognition and home safety, therapeutic intervention and discharge planning as part of an interprofessional team. All roles are essential in providing a safe and healthy environment for patients, staff, physicians, volunteers and others by ensuring that health and safety policies and regulations are followed. You have experience with assessment of cognition, mobility and safety with adults and elderly patients. You demonstrate critical thinking skills/problem-solving skills. You have the ability to adapt to the demand of a constantly changing workload to cover several adult in-patient medical units. You work effectively with the Rehab Assistants to develop plans of care and modify as necessary, as well as with a multidisciplinary health care team and you have the ability to communicate effectively with co-workers, patients, families and community agencies. You have also the ability to perform in a fast-paced environment with minimal supervision. You are flexible to meet additional responsibilities and duties as program demands as service provision may range across the health center system. You have excellent time management skills and the demonstrated ability to self-evaluate to maintain a high standard of care and determine need for professional development. You are a self-motivated, independent and organized individual who is able to maintain a caseload consistent with established standards. You also have the ability to supervise occupational therapy students, interns and volunteers. This position contributes to the shared responsibility of ensuring health and safety policies are followed to provide for a healthy environment for patients, staff, physicians, volunteers and families. This position supports the Hospital’s academic mandate by advancing care through teaching and learning and/or transforming care through research and innovation. This position contributes to the shared responsibility of ensuring health and safety policies are followed to provide for a healthy environment for staff, physicians, volunteers , learners, patients and families
On a practical level, you will:
• Assess and analyze the patients physical, cognitive, psychosocial and environmental status in order to identify needs and capabilities
• Develop an effective treatment plan in collaboration with the patient, family and inter-professional team
• Provide education to patients and families, as required
• Formulate discharge plans with patients, family, and health care team utilizing appropriate community resources; recognizing and giving consideration to current needs, strengths, and limitations of patient, family, and resources as they may have developed/changed during the patient’s stay
• Maintain excellent knowledge of and close liaison with hospital & community resources, i.e. Home and Community Care, Social Assistance, Ontario Disability program, Drug Programs, etc.
• Advocate for the patient and family to ensure the patients’ rights are recognized and appropriate services are created and provided
• Foster an environment that promotes patient and family centered care and inter-professional collaboration
• Maintain documentation on patient health records, and communicates with other health care team members, as required
• Supervise and collaborate with Rehabilitation Assistants to develop and modify treatment plans
• Act as a Preceptor to occupational therapy students, teach other students and supervise volunteers
• Promote best practices and evidenced-based care through the implementation of initiatives that are aligned with the organization’s strategic direction
• As required by COTO, a degree in Occupational Therapy from a recognized school
• Registration in good standing with the College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario
• Current BLS required
• Three years’ experience in occupational therapy practice, in an in-patient hospital environment
• Experience with orthopaedic conditions is required.
• Bilingualism in French/ English an asset
What We Offer Working at NYGH means working with a dynamic team of fellow healthcare providers, staff, and volunteers in one of Canada’s leading hospitals. This is a Part Time Casual position, 8 hour shifts, day shifts, including weekends, in the Inpatient Surgery department. We offer a highly competitive total compensation package which includes pay in lieu of benefits, vacation pay and the opportunity to join the Hospital Pension Plan.
FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY: As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination to the Hospital’s Occupational Health and Safety department
How to Apply
Think you’re the right person for the job? Here’s your first chance to show us why:
• Ensure to meet the deadline – only applications received by the closing date will be considered.
• We will review all applications and will contact those selected for an interview.
Please refer to the Job Opportunities page on eric for more detailed application instructions.
At North York General, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. North York General is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.