Personal Support Workers required for Paediatric Hospital Care at a prominent hospital in downtown Toronto
Shifts will be scheduled: mornings, afternoons, evenings, weekends
- Activities of daily living such as grooming, dressing and bathing
- Meal planning and preparation
- Mobility and transfers
- Light household duties such as cleaning, laundry and washing dishes
- Provision of special functions that have been taught, with respect to the client by a regulated health professional.
- Reporting changes in client behaviour and condition
- Demonstrated ability to recognize safety issues and follow safe work practices
- Possess a compassionate and flexible nature, and a client-centred approach to care-giving
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Requires good judgement, problem solving and assessment abilities
- A keen desire to learn
- High school diploma AND completion of Personal Support Worker or Child and Youth Counsellor program through a recognized institution and/or student in a health related field. Nursing students would be accepted in this capacity
- RN or RPN students with a minimum successful completion of 1 year
- Foreign trained Nurses, Midwifes or Physicians with experience in pediatric acute care settings is an asset
- 5 years of pediatric experience preferred
- Experience working in the community as a PSW is an asset.
- Ability to read, write and speak English (equivalent to grade 10 level).
- Demonstrated commitment to client and family centred care.
- Use of proper body mechanics and successful completion of physical readiness test to ensure safe work practices are followed including mobility, transfers, bending, lifting, push and pulling.
- Demonstrated ability to recognize safety concerns, communicate effectively using a computer and/or mobile device.
- Requires good judgement, the ability to work independently and work cooperatively with the care-giving team.
- Effective problem solving and decision making skills to safely service clients.
- Immunization for measles, rubella and varicella, and prophylaxic immunization of Hepatitis B is strongly urged. Must be screened for tuberculosis where required (i.e. long term care facility).
- Ability to travel between assignments by public transportation or by car
- Flexible to work weekends/nights/over-nights
- Current CPR and First Aid certification is a definite asset
- Ability to speak a second language is a definite asset
- $18.38 ($1.66 travel pay built in for shifts that are 3 hours or less)
- PPE will be provided
Please forward cover letter and resumes to:
Isabel Fonseca, Job Developer
TDSB Next-Steps Employment Centre