Website North York General Hospital
Job Title Unit Secretary
Job Details Union: SEIU-C Department: Cancer Care >> Ambulatory Oncology >> – Chemo Day/Night Care Reports To: Clinical Team Manager Job Category: Administration/Clerical
FTE: 0.5 Shifts: Day Shift Duration: 8’s Status: Part-Time Temporary Contract Duration: 12 Months Number of Positions: 1 Site: General Site, 4001 Leslie Street Salary: $25.77 – $29.83 /Hour
Post Date: 07/10/2021 Closing Date: 19/10/2021
Position Summary Unit Secretary, Chemo Day Care Your goal in this position is to perform administrative, secretarial and receptionist support for the Chemo Day-Night Care unit, in a confidential, sensitive and professional manner. You have effective written and spoken communication skills, use your critical thinking and problem solving skills, and embrace the challenge of prioritizing work demands in a fast paced and stressful environment. This position supports the Hospital’s academic mandate by advancing care through teaching and learning and/or transforming care through research and innovation. This position contributes to the shared responsibility of ensuring health and safety policies are followed to provide for a healthy environment for staff, physicians, volunteers , learners, patients and families.
On a practical level, you will:
• Communicate with staff, patients, families, internal and external parties
• Accept, coordinate and triage telephone calls and inquiries and processes them in an appropriate and timely manner
• Coordinate various interdepartmental activities and requests such as transportation of patients for tests, discharges and services required on the unit
• Enter, update and maintain Kronos electronic payroll system for authorization by the Clinical Team Manager
• Assume responsibility for identification and advancement of issues and concerns with the Clinical Team Manager or Coordinator in a time sensitive manner
• Compile and disseminate material/documents related to Program activity
• Maintain attendance/time reporting information and arrange appropriate relief including agencies
• Transcribe physicians’ written orders and processes them in an appropriate and timely manner; notify appropriate staff, and specific departments as required
• Process requisitions as required (blood work, CT, etc.), maintain documentation and follow up on outstanding information (e.g., test results, follow up appointments)
• Maintain organization of admissions and discharges, and patient related information and documentation, including kardex and medication information, dismantle charts and enter information electronically as required
• Prepare statistics, reports and discharge instructions, photocopying, prioritizing and processing of information as required
• Manage unit supplies, services and repair needs
• Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent
• Medical Secretary/Medical Office Assistant certificate or equivalent
• Working knowledge of medical terminology
• Minimum of one year comparable office experience preferably with medical orientation
• Experience with Chemotherapy/Oncology processes & protocol, preferred
• Experience working in an ambulatory clinic setting, preferred
• Accurate and efficient typing skills of 45 w.p.m.
• Bilingualism in French/ English an asset
What We Offer Working at NYGH means working with a dynamic team of fellow healthcare providers, staff, and volunteers in one of Canada’s leading hospitals. This is a Part Time Temporary position, 8 hours shifts, day shifts, in the Chemo Day Care Unit. We offer a highly competitive total compensation package which includes pay in lieu of benefits, vacation pay and the opportunity to join the Hospital Pension Plan.
FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY: As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination to the Hospital’s Occupational Health and Safety department.
How to Apply
Think you’re the right person for the job? Here’s your first chance to show us why:
• Ensure to meet the deadline – only applications received by the closing date will be considered.
• We will review all applications and will contact those selected for an interview.
Please refer to the Job Opportunities page on eric for more detailed application instructions.
At North York General, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. North York General is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.