Website North York General Hospital
Job Title Unit Secretary
Job Details Union: SEIU-C Department: Medicine >> Resp/GI >>Medical Unit-Resp/GI Reports To: CTM Job Category: Administration/Clerical
FTE: 0.2 Shifts: 2 out of 3 weekends (SEIU only),Day,Weekends Shift Duration: 4’s,8’s,12’s Status: Part-Time Temporary Contract Duration: March 31st, 2022 Number of Positions: 1 Site: General Site, 4001 Leslie Street Salary: $25.77 – $29.84 /Hour
Post Date: 12/10/2021 Closing Date: 21/10/2021
Position Summary Unit Secretary, Medicine-Respirology, 8 West: Your goal in this position is to perform administrative, secretarial and receptionist support for the 8 West Medicine/Respirology unit in a confidential, sensitive and professional manner. You have effective written and spoken communication skills, use your critical thinking and problem solving skills, and embrace the challenge of prioritizing work demands in a fast paced and stressful environment. This position supports the Hospital’s academic mandate by advancing care through teaching and learning and/or transforming care through research and innovation. This position contributes to the shared responsibility of ensuring health and safety policies are followed to provide for a healthy environment for staff, physicians, volunteers, learners, patients and families.
On a practical level, you will:
• Support and adhere to Hospital policies and procedures
• Prepare memos and meeting agendas, and complete minutes
• Assume responsibility for identification and advancement of issues and concerns with the Clinical Team Manager and/or Unit Coordinator in a time sensitive manner
• Manage confidential information in a sensitive and professional manner
• Represent physicians and health care professionals (i.e., nurses, allied health) by screening and triaging incoming telephone calls and inquiries; recording and transmitting messages; scheduling, receiving, and announcing scheduled patients and visitors; arranging referrals to other health care providers; scheduling appointments for consultations, x-rays, lab tests, physical therapy, MRI’s, CT scans, etc.
• Coordinate various interdepartmental activities and requests such as transportation of patients for tests, discharges and services required on the unit
• Compile and disseminate material/documents related to Portfolio activity
• Maintain attendance/time reporting information and arrange appropriate relief including agencies.
• Input payroll, and keep record of nursing resource pool and overtime statistics
• Process requisitions as required (blood work, CT, etc.), maintain documentation and follow up on outstanding information (i.e., test results)
• Maintain organization of admissions and discharges, and patient related information and documentation, dismantle charts and enter information electronically as required
• Maintain office supplies inventory by checking stock; anticipating needs; placing and expediting orders; verifying receipts
• Prepare reports and discharge instructions, photocopying, prioritizing and processing of information as required
• Grade XII diploma
• A medical office assistant certificate or minimum one-year medical inpatient hospital experience, or comparable office experience
• Working knowledge of medical terminology and ability to perform medical transcription
• Accurate minimum typing speed of 45 w.p.m.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office including; Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Experience dealing with the public in a fast paced and customer service environment
• Bilingualism in French/English an asset
What We Offer Working at NYGH means working with a dynamic team of fellow healthcare providers, staff, and volunteers in one of Canada’s leading hospitals. This is a Part Time Temporary position with 4,8 and 12 hour shifts, 2 out of 3 weekends, Day and including weekends, in the Medicine-Respirology Unit. We offer a highly competitive total compensation package which includes pay in lieu of benefits, vacation pay and the opportunity to join the Hospital Pension Plan.
FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY: As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination to the Hospital’s Occupational Health and Safety department.
How to Apply
Think you’re the right person for the job? Here’s your first chance to show us why:
• Ensure to meet the deadline – only applications received by the closing date will be considered.
• We will review all applications and will contact those selected for an interview.
Please refer to the Job Opportunities page on eric for more detailed application instructions.
At North York General, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. North York General is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.