Website North York General Hospital
Making North York General Hospitala Difference in the World.
Unit Secretary – Paediatric Inpatient
Department: Maternal, Newborn and Paediatric Program >– Paed.Inpatient Unit (1603)
Reports To: Clinical Team Manager
Job Category: Administration/Clerical
Shifts: Day, Evening, Weekends
Shift Duration: 4’s,8’s,12’s
Number of Positions: 1
Site: General Site, 4001 Leslie Street
Salary: $25.77 – $29.84 /Hour
Post Date: 24/06/2022 Closing Date: 06/07/2022
Unit Secretary, Paediatric Inpatient
Your goal in this position is to perform administrative, secretarial and receptionist support for the Maternal, Newborn, and Paediatric Program in a confidential, sensitive and professional manner. You have effective written and spoken communication skills, use your critical thinking and problem solving skills, and embrace the challenge of prioritizing work demands in a fast paced and stressful environment. This position supports the hospital’s academic mandate by advancing care through teaching and learning and/or transforming care through research and innovation. This position contributes to the shared responsibility of ensuring health and safety policies are followed to provide for a healthy environment for patients, staff, physicians, volunteers and families.
On a practical level, you will:
• Support and adhere to Hospital policies and procedures.
• Communicate with staff, patients, families, and internal and external parties.
• Coordinate various interdepartmental activities, request transportation of patients for tests, schedule appointments for various clinics, make reminder appointment phone-calls.
• Accept, coordinate and triages telephone calls and inquiries and process them in an appropriate and timely manner.
• Assume responsibility for identification and advancement of issues and concerns with the Clinical Team Manager in a time sensitive manner.
• Register patients, confirm identification, and patient identification band on patient.
• Compile and disseminate material/documents related to Program activity
• Manage confidential information in a sensitive and professional manner.
• Maintain attendance/time reporting information and arrange appropriate relief including agencies
• Process computer provider order entries within scope of practice, notify appropriate staff, and specific departments as required.
• Support clinicians with system order entry functions, such as scheduling patient appointments and follow-up appointments • Process requisitions as required (blood work, CT, etc.), maintain documentation and follow up on outstanding information (e.g., test results, follow up appointments).
• Maintain organization of admissions, discharges, outstanding orders and medication information, dismantles charts and enter information electronically as required.
• Prepare statistics, reports and discharge instructions, photocopying, prioritizing and processing of information as required.
• Manage the ordering and organization of unit supplies, services and repair needs.
• Utilize patient and family centred communication and strategies with patients, families, staff, physicians, and volunteers.
• Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent.
• A medical office assistant certificate or minimum one year comparable office experience with medical orientation.
• Accurate minimum typing speed of 45 w.p.m
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office including; Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and virtual scheduling (e.i OTN)
• Experience dealing with the public in a fast paced environment
• 1 year of Paediatric experience in a acute care community hospital environment
• Bilingualism in French/English is an asset.
What We Offer
Working at NYGH means working with a dynamic team of fellow healthcare providers, staff, and volunteers in one of Canada’s leading hospitals. This is a Part Time Casual position 4, 8, and 12 hour shifts, Day and evening shifts, including weekends in the Paediatric Inpatient Unit. We offer a highly competitive total compensation package which includes pay in lieu of benefits, vacation pay and the opportunity to join the Hospital Pension Plan.
FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY: As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination to the Hospital’s Occupational Health and Safety department.
How to Apply
Think you’re the right person for the job? Here’s your first chance to show us why:
• Ensure to meet the deadline – only applications received by the closing date will be considered.
• We will review all applications and will contact those selected for an interview.
Please refer to the Job Opportunities page on eric for more detailed application instructions.
At North York General, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. North York General is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the
hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs