Website North York General Hospital
Job Title Unit Secretary – Perioperative Services
Job Details Union: SEIU-C Department: Surgery >> OR-General >> – Operating Room Reports To: ctm Job Category: Administration/Clerical
FTE: 0.6 Shifts: Day, Evening, On Call, Weekends Shift Duration: 8’s Status: Part-Time Permanent Number of Positions: 0 Site: General Site, 4001 Leslie Street Salary: $25.77 – $29.84 /Hour
Post Date: 12/10/2021 Closing Date: 21/10/2021
Position Summary Unit Secretary, Perioperative Services Your goal in this position is to perform administrative, secretarial and receptionist support for the Perioperative Services in a confidential, sensitive and professional manner. You have effective written and spoken communication skills, use your critical thinking and problem solving skills, and embrace the challenge of prioritizing work demands in a fast paced and stressful environment. The position supports the hospital’s academic mandate by advancing care through teaching and learning and/or transforming care through research and innovation. This position contributes to the shared responsibility of ensuring health and safety policies are followed to provide for a healthy environment for patients, staff, physicians, volunteers and families. This position supports the Hospital’s academic mandate by advancing care through teaching and learning and/or transforming care through research and innovation. This position contributes to the shared responsibility of ensuring health and safety policies are followed to provide for a healthy environment for staff, physicians, volunteers , learners, patients and families
On a practical level, you will:
• Support and adhere to Hospital policies and procedures
• Communicate with staff, patients, families, internal and external parties
• Coordinate various interdepartmental activities and requests such as transportation of patients for tests, discharge and services required on the unit
• Accepts, coordinate and triage telephone calls and inquiries and process them in an appropriate and timely manner
• Assume responsibility for identification and advancement of issues and concerns with the Clinical Team Manager or Coordinator in a time sensitive manner
• Compile and disseminate material/documents related to Program activity
• Manage confidential information in a sensitive and professional manner
• Book surgical patients from the on line SBR tool into Surginet.
• Liase with Surgeon and Endoscopists offices for weekly signoffs and OR packages.
• Prepare reports in Cerner and review then confirm completed surgical cases.
• Input time cards into Kronos and prepare reports, prepare the nursing on call list for distribution.
• Triage management of urgent surgical cases with the Clinical Coordinator/ resource nurse in the OR.
• Prepare statistics, reports, photocopying, prioritizing and processing of information as required
• Manage unit supplies, services and repair needs
• Grade XII diploma
• A medical office assistant certificate or minimum one year comparable office experience with medical orientation
• Medical terminology course required.
• Accurate minimum typing speed of 45 w.p.m
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office including; Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Experience with SBR and Surginet preferred
• Knowledge of WTIS and Cancer Care Ontario preferred.
• Previous experience as a unit secretary in the operating room, endoscopy, day surgery and Recovery room an asset
• Bilingualism in French/English an asset
What We Offer Working at NYGH means working with a dynamic team of fellow healthcare providers, staff, and volunteers in one of Canada’s leading hospitals. This is a Part Time Regular position with 8 hour shifts, days, evenings, weekends, and on call shifts in the Perioperative Services Unit. We offer a highly competitive total compensation package which includes pay in lieu of benefits, vacation pay and the opportunity to join the Hospital Pension Plan.
FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY: As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination to the Hospital’s Occupational Health and Safety department.
How to Apply
Think you’re the right person for the job? Here’s your first chance to show us why:
• Ensure to meet the deadline – only applications received by the closing date will be considered.
• We will review all applications and will contact those selected for an interview.
Please refer to the Job Opportunities page on eric for more detailed application instructions.
At North York General, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. North York General is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.