Observational Job Shadowing
OJS and COVID-19 Changes
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we are not able to provide observational job shadowing placements at facilities. We are offering IENs a virtual mentoring opportunity to speak with an expert nurse via telephone or video call. Through this connection, IENs can ask questions, learn about the facility and the role of nurses within that setting. Each facility will be required to identify an expert nurse to match with IENs as requested. The duration and frequency of contacts will be left to the IEN and Expert Nurse to schedule, with the expectation of a minimum of 4 interactions over the course of a month.
Benefits of OJS:
• Increase understanding of the role and scope of practice of a RPN and RN in various healthcare settings
• Orientation to the Canadian Healthcare System, workplace culture and expectations
• Learn the importance of Interprofessional team and therapeutic communication
• Exposure to modern technology
• Networking opportunity
• Increase level of confidence
• Supports IENs IENCAP/ OSCE preparation and employment readiness
Length of Virtual Mentorship :
On average 1 meeting per week (1-2hrs) for a month. The duration and frequency of contacts will be left to the IEN and Expert Nurse to schedule
Length of the mentorship is for 1 month (1-2 hour meeting per week for 4 weeks) via telephone and/ or other electronic means. The expert nurse (mentor) and IEN (mentee) will arrange the schedule that is mutually agreeable to both parties.
• Completed the CARE Centre virtual mentoring application, agreement form, learning plan, and completion of specific coursepark courses