Nominate an IEN
Add Your Heading Text Here
IEN of the Year Awards
In 2011, CARE Centre’s 10th anniversary year, a new award was established to celebrate CARE Centre member IENs for their success in Canada. The CARE Centre Joan Lesmond IEN of the Year Awards is named in honour of the late Dr. Lesmond, a nursing leader who championed access to the nursing profession, and who contributed much to the development of CARE Centre in its early years. Loy Asheri, an RN from Tanzania working at Sunnybrook Cardiac ICU and in community nursing was the inaugural winner. In the second year an ICU RN from London Health Sciences University Hospital, Ismael El Assaad, an IEN from Palestine, was the winner. In year three Edsel Mutia, an RN and charge nurse at North York General’s ICU was the winner. Edsel donated his prize money to relief efforts for Typhoon Haiyan in his native Philippines before flying there to assist on the ground. In its fourth year the award was expanded to recognize one RN and one RPN. The winners were RPN Adela Belisario, an IEN from Peru working in complex continuing care at Baycrest, and Ahmad Baki, an RN from Iran working in oncology at Princess Margaret Hospital. The next year the winners were RPN Alexis Lamsen from the Philippines, working at Shalom Village Long-Term Care Home in Hamilton, and Rupali Krishna, an RN from India working at Dover Cliffs Long-Term Care Home. The 2016 winners were Philippine RN Kareen Tacderas of Humber River Hospital’s ICU, and Viral Pandya, an RPN from India working in community nursing with ParaMed. In 2017 the winners were Gaynor Quieros, an RN from the U.K. working in community mental health nursing, who donated her prize money to two charities at Christmas, and Derrick Ntungwe, an RPN from Cameroon working in community nursing with Saint Elizabeth Healthcare and in mental health nursing at the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health. The 2018 Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) IEN of the Year Award was presented to Anna Ke, an IEN from the Philippines who is a professional practice leader at the Yee Hong Centre for Geriatric Care. Novlette Delisser-Francis, a staff nurse working at Carbonear General Hospital in Newfoundland, won the 2018 RN Joan Lesmond IEN of the Year Award.
IENs may self-nominate or be nominated by colleagues or clients. The criteria are:
- Is a member of CARE Centre for Internationally Educated Nurses
- Is currently registered as a nurse in Ontario (RN or RPN)
- Has been working in a nursing practice environment for at least one year
Review the selection criteria and nominate a CARE Centre IEN if you are a:
- Nurse/Program Manager
- Team Leader
- Nursing Peer (nurse, health care discipline team member, physician)
- Patient or Family Member
- Case Manager
- Download the Information and Nomination Package to your desktop.
- Open the document in Word, enter information and contact details and re-save the document with the naming convention reflecting the nominee’s name and your initials as the submitting nominator i.e. first name initial/last name_ (your initials): anurse_(SN).
- You can save it as a Word document or send it as a pdf file.
- Please send to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please e-mail your inquiries to email@example.com with the subject line “IEN of the Year Award Nominations”.