Job Posting: Exam Preparation Instructors
Deadline: April 30, 2012
CARE Centre is a bridge training initiative designed to provide supports and services to internationally educated nurses (IENs) living in Ontario so that they can practice and excel in their profession in the shortest time possible. Funded by the Ontario Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration, CARE Centre is a multi-partner initiative that invents, co-ordinates and delivers flexible, client-focused education and support services such as: sector-specific language training, case management services, observational job shadowing and exam preparation activities.
We are looking for creative individuals who are able to work closely, flexibly and energetically with a small staff team in a principled and pragmatic way towards the achievement of the Centre’s mission and goals.
Instructors are needed to teach CARE Centre’s Exam Review course in Toronto, Hamilton, London, and Peel. Some of the courses are offered via videoconferencing (OTN).
Reporting to the Regional Manager – Central East, this position is responsible for delivery of CARE Centre’s Exam Preparation course in London, Hamilton, Peel Region or Toronto area, supporting internationally educated nurses attempting to pass the non-exemptible entry–to- practice national registration examination, one of the requirements to obtaining a registration certificate to practice nursing in Ontario. This will involve working collaboratively with the CARE Centre team and specifically the case manager at each location. A nursing background as well as experience in adult education is required.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Teach CARE Centre Exam Preparation course content in on a contractual basis. This may involve delivering the course through videoconferencing.
- Respond and adapt approach to reinforce the CRNE/CPRNE blueprint, nursing theory and trends in nursing practice in Canada.
- Assist course participants to unpack the entry to practice competencies to be tested on the national examinations and in establishing a study plan to intensively study and master the specifics for exam readiness.
- Act as facilitator focusing on success and lessening the anxiety of course participants as they practice test questions and apply test strategies for the national nursing examinations.
- Provide support and guidance to course participants as they prepare to write the Canadian Registered Nurse (CRNE) or Canadian Practical Nurse Registration (CPNRE) Examination.
- Work with the CARE Centre team to ensure ongoing relevance, efficacy and innovation are reflected in the course and instructional materials.
- Provide relevant feedback to individual IENs regarding course test results, mock exam analysis and readiness to write the registration exams in collaboration with the case manager.
- Adjust curriculum delivery as circumstances may require accommodating the needs of the learners and the CARE Centre program in collaboration with the case manager.
- Maintain security of modular tests and mock examinations and instructional materials.
- Provide end of course evaluation feedback form/survey to CARE Centre member participants in the course.
- Provide suggestions for improvement in future course offerings.
- Current Registered Nurse Certification with the College of Nurses of Ontario and a minimum of a Bachelor of Science in Nursing is required. A Masters Degree is an asset.
- Minimum 3 years of teaching along with Canadian nursing experience.
- Experience in teaching exam preparation, application and critical thinking strategies.
- Experience and knowledge working with second language learners and the language/inter-cultural challenges faced by internationally educated nurses.
- Demonstrated organizational, problem-solving, interpersonal communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work as an effective team member and to work flexibly within a dynamic and highly evolving environment
- Demonstrated teaching and performance feedback approaches that are appropriate for a diverse, multicultural group of learners and support their professional development
- Intercultural communication training is an asset
- Experience with the delivery of online/videoconferencing education is an asset
Salary: Commensurate with skills and experience
Please send a resume with cover letter by April 30, 2012 by email to:
Cory Leblanc, Administrative Coordinator
We thank all applicants for applying. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. CARE Centre is committed to diversity in the workplace.