Job Posting: Language Instructor
Deadline: April 30, 2012
CARE Centre is a bridge training initiative designed to provide supports and services to internationally educated nurses (IENs) living in Ontario so that they can practise and excel in their profession in the shortest time possible. Funded by the Ontario Ministry of Citizenship and Immigration, CARE Centre is a multi-partner initiative that invents, co-ordinates and delivers flexible, client-focused education and support services such as: sector-specific language training, case management services, job shadowing and exam preparation activities.
We are looking for a creative individual who is able to work closely, flexibly and energetically with a small staff team in a principled and pragmatic way towards the achievement of the Centre’s mission and goals.
Reporting to the Regional Manager – West, this position is responsible for delivery of nursing specific language instruction to CARE members. The CARE Centre’s Language and Communication Program for Nurses consists of a series of three comprehensive courses featuring innovative audio, video and e-learning activities that demonstrate and allow internationally educated and ESL nurses to practice workplace interactions. This position will involve working collaboratively with the CARE language team.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Teach CARE Centre Exam Preparation course content in on a contractual basis. This may involve delivering the course through videoconferencing.
- Instruction to include assessment (diagnostic, formative and summative), attendance-keeping, photocopying, end-of-course meetings and other related responsibilities./li>
- Analyze learner needs to individualize curriculum in terms of participant strengths/ weaknesses or expressed needs.
- Provide support and guidance to course participants.
- Provide end-of-course evaluation feedback form to course participants.
- Work with language staff team to ensure ongoing relevance, efficacy and innovation are reflected in courses, workshops and instructional materials.
- Provide suggestions for improvement in future course offerings.
- Current TESL certification.
- Related undergraduate degree or equivalent.
- Minimum 5 years of ESL teaching experience with at least 2 years of experience teaching higher level grammar, four language skills and pronunciation.
- Experience teaching ESL for special purposes including occupation-specific language courses.
- Understanding of the language and inter-cultural challenges faced by internationally trained professionals.
- Knowledge of Canadian Language Benchmark levels and corresponding descriptors.
- Demonstrated ability to ground instruction in authentic, meaningful practice relevant to the needs of learners.
- Experience with the delivery of online/videoconferencing education is an asset.
- Nursing knowledge is not required and training will be provided.
Salary: Commensurate with skills and experience
Please send a resume with cover letter by May 15, 2012 to::
CARE Centre for Internationally Educated Nurses
45 Sheppard Ave East, Suite 512
Toronto, ON M2N 5W9
Attention: Hiring Committee Or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for applying. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. CARE Centre is committed to diversity in the workplace.