Website North York General Hospital
Job Title Activity Aide
Job Details Union: SEIU-S Department: Seniors Health Centre >> Program & Supp Serv >> – SHC Therapeutic Services Reports To: Activities Co-ordinator Job Category: Healthcare Professional
FTE: 0.8 Shifts: Day,Evening,Weekends Shift Duration: 6’s Status: Full-Time Temporary Number of Positions: 1 Site: Seniors Health Centre, 2 Buchan Court Salary: $21.08 – $24.41 /Hour
Post Date: 06/10/2021 Closing Date: 18/10/2021
Position Summary Activity Aide, Resident Activation, Senior’s Health Centre: Your goal in this position is to work closely with all activity team members, and to encourage resident involvement in programs of their choice. You will do this by ensuring these programs are meaningful, appropriate and sensitive to all the needs of the residents we serve. This position supports the Hospital’s academic mandate by advancing care through teaching and learning and/or transforming care through research and innovation. This position contributes to the shared responsibility of ensuring health and safety policies are followed to provide for a healthy environment for patients, staff, physicians, volunteers and families.
On a practical level, you will:
• Promote the Seniors’ Health Centre and North York General Hospital’s Mission, Vision and Values (Leading, Listening, Learning and Serving)
• Demonstrate knowledge of internal and external policies/legislation: Long Term Care Act and Regulations, Long Term Care Facilities Program Standards, Accreditation Standards, and North York General Hospital Policies and Procedures.
• Plan, organize and execute therapeutic and recreational activities to the residents of the Seniors’ Health Centre, in accordance with established policy, physician order and the resident plan of care.
• Lead activity programs and participate in care activities as scheduled in accordance with care plans, goals and preferences of residents
• Demonstrate the ability to complete quarterly MDS assessments for a certain number of residents, and maintain accurate and complete records of care delivered, as well as developing resident care plans and all other ministry required documentation
• Create individual care plans for residents, including initial assessments, admission checklist, life history assessments and program recommendations for each resident as well as review and update on a regular basis
• Assist with linking residents and families with resources and services both within the facility and community
• Communicate effectively (written and verbal) with patients/clients, families and other members of the health care team, in a warm and pleasant atmosphere
• Demonstrate exceptional organizational skills and the ability to multi-task
• Ensure that care provided is documented as required in a timely fashion using the assigned documentation tools
• Identify appropriate therapeutic activities, goals and interventions on the care plans of identified resident
• Work safely in accordance with the Occupational Health Safety Act and Infection Control Guidelines
• A 2-year post-secondary diploma or degree in recreation and leisure studies, therapeutic recreation, or other related field from a community college or university
• Minimum 2-3 years’ experience in a long term care setting
• Experience using RAI – MDS assessments preferred
• Knowledge of MOHLTC legislation, regulations and processes
• Knowledge of programming needs for older adults diagnosed with dementia
• Bilingualism in French/English an asset
What We Offer Working at NYGH means working with a dynamic team of fellow healthcare providers, staff, and volunteers in one of Canada’s leading hospitals. This position is a full time temporary reduced hours position, 6 hour shifts, day shifts, evening shifts, including weekends, in Resident Activation, Seniors Health Centre. We offer a highly competitive total compensation package that includes benefits, pension, and vacation. If you were searching for more reasons to consider joining the wonderful team at NYGH, check out some features of our Total Rewards package by visiting nygh.on.ca
FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY: As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination to the Hospital’s Occupational Health and Safety department.
How to Apply
Think you’re the right person for the job? Here’s your first chance to show us why:
• Ensure to meet the deadline – only applications received by the closing date will be considered.
• We will review all applications and will contact those selected for an interview.
Please refer to the Job Opportunities page on eric for more detailed application instructions.
At North York General, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. North York General is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.