Website Trent University
The Ontario Internationally Educated Nurses Course Consortium is delivering a baccalaureate level competency-bridging program of study to help Internationally Educated Nurses become Registered Nurses in Ontario. The Consortium is seeking to hire Mentors for internationally educated nurses enrolled in the competency-bridging program of study.
Mentors will be required to:
- Provide guidance to students in their transition to the competency-bridging program of study.
- Facilitate the transition of students into Canadian baccalaureate level education and Canadian nursing practice.
- Advise students on how to apply course content to practice. Prompt them to identify examples of course content in the Ontario healthcare system.
- Work with students to identify their challenges and brainstorm ways to help them overcome their challenges.
- Meet one-on-one with students over zoom at least 3 times a semester. Once at the beginning of the semester, once in the middle of the semester, once at the end of the semester, and as required.
- Maintain professional boundaries with students. Mentors should refer students to appropriate faculty, staff, resources, and services as needed.
Seek support from Program Manager when needed.
- Be an active listener.
- Complete all mentoring and associated activities in English.
- Help students practice their verbal English language communication skills.
- Keep logs of interactions with students.
- Write a report each semester about their experience as a Mentor.
- Other duties as required.
Mentors should not help students with assignments, evaluations, or exams.
Qualifications and Experience
- Must be a Registered Nurse.
- Must be a member in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Internationally educated nurses strongly preferred.
- Must have knowledge of internationally educated nurses learning needs.
- Must have knowledge of the challenges internationally educated nurses face when trying to become Registered Nurses in Ontario.
- Must be familiar with the process of becoming a Registered Nurse in Ontario.
- Willingness to consult with and provide feedback to the consortium team.
- Willingness and ability to problem solve, take initiative, work independently, and follow up with students as needed.
- Experience working remotely.
- Mentors will work with students remotely.
- Mentors will hold a contract with Trent University.
- The contract rate is $20 per hour.
- Mentors should work with each student for 6 hours every semester.
- The number of students a mentor works with is negotiable.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Trent University is actively committed to creating a diverse and inclusive campus community and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Trent University offers accommodation for applicants with disabilities in its recruitment processes. If you require accommodation during the recruitment process or require an accessible version of a document/publication, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.