Website North York General Hospital
Job Title Social Worker – Mental Health
Job Details Union: Non-Union Department: Mental Health-Global >> AMH 7W IP – Social Work- IP 7 West Reports To: Clinical Team Manager Job Category: Healthcare Professional
FTE: 0.6 Shifts: Day Shift Duration: 8’s Status: Part-Time Permanent Number of Positions: 1 Site: General Site, 4001 Leslie Street Salary: $40.58 – $48.90 /Hour
Post Date: 14/10/2021 Closing Date: 21/10/2021
Position Summary Social Worker, Mental Health Inpatient: Your goal in this position is to provide client-centred psychosocial assessments of the emotional, physical, cognitive and social needs of referred patients and their families. You will also assist the patient and family in developing and enhancing coping skills related to the social and emotional needs and problems that may accompany or predate illness/disability and hospitalization. You also have great interpersonal skills, and you effortlessly connect with physicians, staff, patients, and families. This position supports the hospital’s academic mandate by advancing care through teaching and learning and/or transforming care through research and innovation. This position contributes to the shared responsibility of ensuring health and safety policies are followed to provide for a healthy environment for patients, staff, physicians, volunteers and families.
On a practical level, you will:
• Complete comprehensive client-centred assessments of emotional, physical, cognitive and social needs and capabilities of the patients and their families
• Prepare a treatment plan to address meet the needs and problems identified in the psychosocial assessment in collaboration with the multidisciplinary team and staff from various community agencies as required
• Formulate discharge plans with patient, family, and health care team using appropriate community resources; recognizing and giving consideration to current needs, strengths, and limitations of patient, family, and resources as they may have developed/changed during the patient’s stay
• Guide patients in the development of a crisis plan that supports their wellness and recovery after discharge
• Demonstrate the ability to collaborate effectively as a member of the health care team and take initiative and leadership when appropriate.
• Demonstrate knowledge and experience in individual and group therapy modalities
• Offer individual or family counselling where appropriate
• Maintain excellent knowledge of, and close liaison, with hospital & community resources, i.e., Community Care Access Centre, Social Assistance, Ontario Disability program, Drug Programs, etc.
• Advocate for the patient/family and community to ensure the patients’ rights are recognized and respected and appropriate services are provided
• Demonstrate the ability to use critical thinking, organizational and conflict resolution
• Provide consultative social work services to members of treatment team, hospital staff, and community
• Participate in MSW student supervision
• Must obtain and provide to the Hospital a current Police Vulnerable Sector Check
• Master’s Degree in Social Work
• Registration with the Ontario College of Social Workers & Social Service Worker
• Minimum of one-year experience as a staff Social Worker working with an inter-professional team in an acute care setting
• Geriatric experience, preferred
• Excellent Clinical skills with demonstrated current professional practices and standards of discipline
• Proficient with computers, MS Word, internet searches, data entry and patient information systems
• Bilingualism in French/English an asset
What We Offer Working at NYGH means working with a dynamic team of fellow healthcare providers, staff, and volunteers in one of Canada’s leading hospitals. This is a Part Time Regular position with 8 hour, Days, in the Mental Health Unit. We offer a highly competitive total compensation package which includes pay in lieu of benefits, vacation pay and the opportunity to join the Hospital Pension Plan.
FOR EXTERNAL APPLICANTS ONLY: As a condition of employment, you are required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination to the Hospital’s Occupational Health and Safety department.
How to Apply
Think you’re the right person for the job? Here’s your first chance to show us why:
• Ensure to meet the deadline – only applications received by the closing date will be considered.
• We will review all applications and will contact those selected for an interview.
Please refer to the Job Opportunities page on eric for more detailed application instructions.
At North York General, we are committed to fostering an inclusive and accessible environment. We are dedicated to building a workforce that reflects the diversity of the community in which we live, including those with disabilities. North York General is committed to providing accommodations in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, we will work with you to meet your needs.